Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Footsteps in the sand

Footsteps In The Sand


One night a man had a dream.
He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the LORD.
Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene, he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand:
one belonging to him, and the other to the LORD.


When the last scene of his life flashed before him
he looked back, at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along the path of his life
there was only one set of footprints.
He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times of his life.


This really bothered him and he questioned the LORD about it:
"LORD, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me."


The LORD replied:
"My son, My precious child, I love you and I would never leave you,
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."


Author unknown


I have ALWAYS loved this poem. My mom gave me a necklace when I was struggling through some things as a teenager. On the front of my necklace is single set of foot prints, on the back it says "...it was then that I carried you." And a little while ago a girl at my work (who sells jewelry) had this ring with footprints on it and I couldn't help myself, I had to have it! It is a constant reminder that I will never be alone in any struggle.
He will carry me.



I noticed the other day that I actually wore this necklace at my wedding! and looking through my pictures there are few where I am NOT wearing it. I guess I am one of those people who need a constant reminder. But I am okay with that.. :)

1 comment:

  1. I have ALWAYS loved that poem. When I went to EFY one year though a guy mentioned that there is something wrong with that poem because he doesn't only carry us through the hard times he is ALWAYS carrying us! Still love the poem though, but if we let him he will always be carrying us!

    ReplyDelete