I was inspired by my mothers blog and a book she gave to me when I was a miserable teenager. "how to be totally miserable" -by John Bytheway.
When I am having one of those days where nothing seems to be going right, when I feel like I'm a failure, and I want to curl up in a ball and cry. I pull out this book and read a couple of pages.
Today was one of those days.
I felt as though Chloie's neediness and constant crying today was going to drive me completely bonkers. I had a list of things I needed to get done and I needed to get myself dressed and ready for the day. By noon I was still holding Chloie to keep her happy and trying to pick up around the house, do dishes, and get lunch ready for Ben. I hadn't even had a moment to brush my teeth or get dressed.
After Ben went back to work Chloie went into her "no one but daddy can make me stop" temper tantrum mode. I couldn't take it anymore. I set her in her crib, closed the door and walked away.
Took a few minutes to pull my self together, physically and emotionally, read a page of my miserable book. and waited for her to stop screaming.
This is what I read today.
"I do not know how anybody can feel gloomy for very long who is a member of this Church. Do you feel gloomy? Lift your eyes. Stand on your feet. Say a few words of appreciation and love to the Lord. BE POSITIVE."
- Gordon B Hinkley, Teachings
So I did just that I stood up said a few words of a appreciation and love. Then went to check on my monster.
This is how I found her. I about burst in to tears. Is that not the cutest, most peaceful looking child you have ever seen? I thought so. I picked her up and snuggled with her for a while and tried to see my day in a more positive light. and I have to say my day did a complete 180, Chloie was happy and fun, I was happy, I got everything I needed to do, done. I just needed to be more positive. To be the best version of my self for me and my family.
I titled my blog, Walking Imperfectly, because I know that I will never do everything perfect, I'm not a perfect mother or wife, but I will do my best and be happy about everything I do.
You write as good as your mom, just remember on those hard days that those dishes and all the other things will be there tomorrow but your little cuties grow up and move out. So its ok that maybe the dishes don't get done if you are spending quality time with them. A little wisdom that I gained as I got older. You are a great mom, I do remember those days.
ReplyDeleteOh honey- been there, done that. We all have had those moments as a mom and there is NOTHING wrong with putting her in her crib and letting her have a screaming moment or two. We all need "mommy timeouts" sometimes to regroup and calm down. And I agree with my mom- dishes can wait, house does not have to be perfect. Time with your kiddos is way more important than any of that. It is something that I constantly have to remind myself, but I am getting better. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Pauline! Chloie is at such a fun age and I am so thankful that I get to be with her as much as I do, She is constantly growing and changing and I don't want to miss a minute of it! but dirty dishes and a messy house make me all sorts of stressed out! I have no Idea how everyone else does it! Clean house and a happy baby?
ReplyDeleteDes- I love the "mommy timeouts" always thought of them as "chloie timeouts" but really its more for me then for her. :)