Saturday, September 1, 2012

Love of Reading

Lately Ben and I have been trying to be better about reading our scriptures whether Chloie is awake or not. It is much easier when she is asleep, but when she is awake we turn it in to scriptures/Seuss time. Which means we read 1 chapter from the Book of Mormon out loud and then I transition seamlessly to Hop on Pop or One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish just to keep her entertained.
I know that Chloie doesn't fully understand why we read out of a book with no pictures but I am hoping that us doing it every night will help it become a habit for her. So when she does understand what is happening it will be easier to do as a family and for her to do on her own.

I personally have always LOVED to read, I would spend hours with my nose buried in a book. I have read fun books, enlightening books, how to books, murder mysteries, Shakespeare's plays (every one including the sonnets), I have read dracula (incredibly long and hard to get into) but NONE of the books I have read have ever had as profound of an impact on me as the Book of Mormon.
I want my children to be well read and to have the same feelings about this wonderful book as I do. There are Chapters upon Chapters that I do not understand but I have found that one verse can hit me like a ton of bricks and send me searching for more answers, more of that feeling from a verse that seems it was written just for you to read one day. I want more then anything for my children to feel the way I do and I do not believe that they will if I do not show them how much it means to me every time we read together.

I remember walking into my parents room as a child and seeing my mom with her nose buried in her scriptures I would bet that she didn't even realize I was in the room sometimes. When my mom is reading her scriptures she gets this look on her face like she is using every fiber of her being to tune out the world around her (which is not an easy thing to do) and yet with all her concentration she looks peaceful and content. My mother's scriptures are always being highlighted and she writes notes along the side to remind her self why that particular scripture was important. I have always admired my mothers love for her scriptures, it has made such a difference through out different stages in my life to know that my mothers testimony is strong and that her love of the gospel is unwavering.

Whether or not we realize it our children are constantly watching us, learning from us, and taking everything we do and say to heart. I want my children to get my love of reading from me just like I got it from my mom.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing Kelcey. I love the scripture/Seuss time. That is perfect!

    ReplyDelete